Friday, March 27, 2015

Gender Identity


Gender Identity
            The topic of gender identity can sometimes be difficult to discuss and an uncomfortable subject for many people.  One’s gender identity refers to how he or she identifies in relation to a male or female.  The continuum of gender identity supports a wide range of varying gender identities between the stereotypical male and female markers on each end of the spectrum.  It is interesting to consider how each individual falls somewhere on the spectrum and how uniquely each person identifies. 
Most cisgender males and females still enjoy a handful of activities that are stereotypically matched with the opposite sex.  For example, although I am a cisgender female, I enjoy being outdoors, hiking, and occasionally fishing with my boyfriend.  Outdoor activities and fishing are often categorized as being male activities.  The fact that I occasionally enjoy these activities does not change who I am or how I identify.  There seem to be socially constructed norms of what is accepted and what is not.  Typically, no one judges me for going hiking on a Saturday afternoon.  I do not feel that me engaging in this activity causes anyone to question my gender identity.  But, on the other hand, if a male decided to go get a full body massage on a Saturday afternoon, his gender identity might be questioned.  I do not necessarily support these social constructed norms, but they seem to cause common misconceptions and controversy concerning gender identity. 
When I think of gender identity, my thoughts are quickly connected to the topic of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons because LGBT persons’ gender identities often do not match their sexual orientation.  These persons are often categorized as being “at risk” and are overall more likely than others to experience physical and emotional harm throughout their lives (Biegel, 2010, p. 118).  Many support groups and programs, including support groups for LGBT Youth, safety zones within the schools, and understanding educators have recently been developed to help reach the needs and desires of LGBT and transgender persons.  Social stratification and the hierarchical structure of dominant and minority groups also seems to be relevant to the discussion of gender identity.  The dominant group, including cisgender males and females, tends to have more access to resources within society.  In contrast, the minority group, composed of LGBT persons, tends to have less and often inadequate access to resources within society (Sensory and DiAngelo, 2012, p. 41).  On a larger scale, the minority group of society can be composed of transgender, genderqueer, and women, when men constitute the primary dominant group (Sensory and DiAngelo, 2012, p. 42).  Social stratification and dominant and minority groups prevent an equal distribution of power, privileges, and resources among all people. 
Being a cisgender female whose sexual orientation and gender identity match, I have never given the topic of gender identity much thought.  I have never considered that transgender individuals have an inadequate and lack of resources within society.  I feel that it is becoming more and more common to witness same sex couples interacting and holding hands in public.  Personally, I feel that males who identify as the opposite sex suffer more than females who identify as males.  I feel that it is more socially acceptable for a female to dress in baggy clothing, have short hair, and engage in masculine activities.  Males have been constrained to a very masculine set of social norms and when or if they try to stretch the boundaries, I feel that they are more quickly judged.  I feel that society has constructed more rigid and strict boundaries for males than for females.  Females seem to have a more fluid and wide range of guidelines that can be stretched without as much harsh feedback from society. 
While growing up, I always had a baby doll on my hip.  I loved to pan family and I enjoyed packing and re-packing a diaper bag and pushing my babies around in strollers.  It has never been a question for me as to how I would identify, because I have always presented as being very feminine, which matches my sexual orientation.  While I also enjoyed being outside with my dad, helping him in his building, and riding the four-wheeler with my dad, no one has ever questioned my identity due to those activities.  More so than loving the idea of getting dirty, I just always enjoyed hanging out with my dad on Saturdays and when my mom had to work late.  My parents, family, and friends primarily influenced my gender identity.  No one in my family has presented as an LGBT person, and therefore, while growing up I never had significant interaction with a transgender individual.  I also feel that my teachers and society as a whole has somewhat influenced my gender identity.  Growing up I was very prone to mimic behaviors of family members and friends, but I have never been as tempted to copy the behaviors of people that I did not know as well or did not spend as much time with. 
Overall, I try to be open and understanding of other’s decisions.  While I do not agree with and do not support the habits of LGBT persons, I do respect them and recognize that their needs and desires should be met.  I will not treat anyone disrespectfully who chooses to identify as the oppose sex.  I feel that my friends and I are polite to all people and will treat everyone as equal regardless of their gender identity.  Gender identity can be a difficult topic to discuss and a daily challenge within the school system.  As future educator, it is imperative that I practice treating everyone with equality and not discriminating for any reason.  It will be my responsibility to make my classroom a positive, comfortable, and safe environment for all students.







References
Biegel, S. (2010). The right to be out. Minneapolis, MN: Uiniversity of Minnesota Press.
Sensoy, O., & DiAngelo, R. (2012). Is everyone really equal? New York, NY: Teachers College
Press. 


2 comments:

  1. Morgan,

    I can relate to you in many different ways. I also was born a female and identify as a female. I never have really put much thought into this either as no one in my immediate family or sphere of influence has experienced being born as one gender but identifying as the opposite. I think that this class has definitely opened my mind into thinking about many more things and different ideas that I had never before. I definitely mimicked the behavior of those around me. For example, when my sister was born, I had a matching stroller, diaper bag, etc. that my mom had for my sister. However, I also went out and played in the woods and got messy with my cousins who were male. I think that we have so much to learn and that it is so helpful to think through these things before we become teachers and have to face them and help our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely! although I was born as a girl and identify as a girl I also enjoy being outdoors and doing 'boy' things. So when does it switch to that gray zone that people are so hesitant to talk about? I think making a classroom that is safe and comfortable(like you talked about in your last paragraph) is one of the most important things you can do as an educator. Students will be going through more than we will probably ever know and it is imperative to give them a happy environment that they can come to.

    ReplyDelete